Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dance

A couple of months after Wee man was born, I joined a belly dance class in St.John's. I didn't really know what I was getting into, but I fell in love. I took classes for a year, took some workshops with some really great instructors (shout-outs to Vanessa PaddockHeather Labonte and Audra Simmons), I started a pretty heavy yoga routine.

Then we moved, I had to find a job(s) and I needed to reorient. I didn't get a chance to pursue much through the summer and this fall. I was distracted, but I think I felt the persistent loss of something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Tonight I started classes again with Leslie. I thought I'd have to start my practice from scratch, but it was pleasantly surprising to see how persistent muscle memory is. She seems like a wonderful instructor, and the women I'm taking the class with all seem to be at very comparable levels to my own. It was exciting to be back at it, with people who love this as much as I do. All studios seem to have that same faint dusty/sweaty smell and walking back into one was a bit like walking into an old home. "Hey, I used to live here!"

It was good for my soul.


2 comments:

  1. OK, now I can't even remember the comment I wanted to make (something about belly dancing looking like so much fun, I'm sure) -- this is my 4th attempt to leave a comment and I just want to prove I can figure out how to do this. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well done, BCE! I appreciate the effort :)

    ReplyDelete