Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Change

I graduated with a BA in 2008 and since that time I've come up with a million different ideas about what I've wanted to do with my life. The following is a list of careers/programs I've given serious consideration to:

- medical technologist
- veterinary technologist
- veterinarian
- veterinary head receptionist
- veterinary office manager
- international development
- curator
- sociologist
- human resources
- public administration
- lawyer
- yoga instructor
- writer
- MA in History

I tend to get excited and make plans and then change those plans and then get disheartened about those plans.

Well, in September, after we moved here, I started looking into "my options", which has been a chronic obsession of mine since I graduated high school. I discovered a program in a technical writing program, in Ottawa, at Algonquin College. It's a one year program, it's a post-graduate certificate, it has a paid work term, it has good job prospects and it looked like something I'd enjoy.

So I applied.

I needed to have a strong writing background, certain grades, certain experiences, etc. etc.

Then I was accepted.

And for the last month or so I've felt a bit like I've been in a limbo land. I've actually applied and been accepted a program since my BA before - I almost started a human resources program. I was accepted, I was registered and then, I don't know, everything just fizzled.

So I've been a bit cautious.

Then this last month was pretty brutal and I think part of my brain snapped. I need a change. As much as I love working with animals every day, I don't think I can stay in my position forever. I can't work a job I hate in order to work a job I like for $2 above minimum wage. Yesterday I received an e-mail from Algonquin with my tentative course and book list, and I decided it was time. I was going to do this and I had to tell my work.

So that was my adventure today. I told the Doctor who had hired me (she's only in two days a week) that we had to talk. She's said, "okay", so I closed her office door and started spieling out everything before I really knew what I was saying. I think I was more honest than I meant to be - I told her I wanted to do a program that could set me on a career that'd really make use of my undergraduate degree and that would, ultimately, make me more money.

She was pretty dead-pan, but said "So, you don't think you want to stay in the veterinary field?" I winced a little and said "I don't think so." Then she said "Okay, well, thanks for telling me. Good luck".

That was that.

So, after Christmas, I'll have four courses and I'll have to find some way to balance my life all over again. The good(ish) news is that I've been approved to receive student loans again, and, while I'm in school, I won't have to continue my loan payments.

Two of us in school full-time. And a baby. This will be interesting.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sammy,
    You've always been that kind of person and there is NOTHING wrong with it. I'm proud of you. My life has been the same.

    I went from

    EB Games Manager
    Disney World Employee
    Personal Banker
    Coffee Rep

    It makes life interesting and that's that! Go for it babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracer-cat.
    Though, I should add that you guys are doing a very poor job of keeping this blog anonymous, haha :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahahah oops! I didn't know it was supposed to be anonymous! I shall stop that....ugghhh

    ReplyDelete