Monday, March 12, 2012

I flew through our front door as Mr.Fella was feeding Wee man.

"Hey sweetie, I hate to come in and run, but I have a million things to do. I'm going to head into our room and try to get some work done. I have, like, 3 big assignments due next week. I have to write a proposal, and create a presentation and yeah - sorry - you won't be seeing much of me the rest of March."

Mr.Fella: "Yeah, uh, actually, I have a thing I have to go to tonight."

Me, momentarily pausing in my flurry: "Oh? Cool. What kind of thing"

Mr.Fella: "I don't know. Some thing. It's a lecture, I think. The University puts it off every year and they always expect the Ph.d students to go. Apparently it's a big deal, and they keep track of who goes and who doesn't and it looks bad if we don't show up. They spend a lot on it, I guess. I pretty much have to go."

Me: "That's okay, that sounds neat. What's it about?"

Mr.Fella, shaking his head: "I honestly don't even know."

Me: "Is there a dress code? Are you, um, going to wear that?"

Mr.Fella looked down at his faded blue jersey shirt. "Um. no, I guess not."

Me: "You have to play the game a little, you know. When you're a big fancy professor, you'll have to schmooze at least some of the time."

He made a face "I don't have to like it."

Humble to the end, that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment